We are located in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Please keep this in mind when planning to visit.
Open by appointment only.
Our time is precious and our rescue is in our home. Please respect the fact that we are not an "open to the public" facility. Those who are just curious present a particular problem to our busy lives. If you are serious about adopting, you are welcome. If you simply want to look around, please let us know so that we can accommodate your visit accordingly.
We do not ship chinchillas, but welcome those who are willing to personally transport their new babies home. Plan to spend at least an hour or two for basic chin care and handling instructions during the meet and greet session. Entire families are welcome! The new chin or chinnies cannot be surprise presents. The potential new owner must come to our facility for this process. Please read and follow the steps below to schedule an appointment to meet the chins.
1. Make sure getting a new pet is OK with your landlord, significant other, mother/father, roommate or anyone else affected by the decision to bring home an animal. Be prepared to show your rental lease for proof.
2. Please review our adoption contract. The adoption contract is a legally binding document.
3. If you already have a cage and equipment, THIS MUST BE APPROVED before any of our chins are adopted. We have complete setups available for purchase that are modified and chinchilla safe. Our preowned cages are less expensive (comparably) than anything you would find in a pet store. The start up-cost for owning an exotic pet is very expensive, often more so than the adoption fee.
4. Have an exotic's vet chosen and understand that a typical emergency vet visit for exotics range from $200 to over $1000. If you do not have the means to fund a vet visit, please reconsider owning a chinchilla.
5. If you are willing to agree to the adoption terms, contact us via email: [email protected] to schedule an appointment. Please indicate that:
A. You have read the adoption process and the contract.
B. You are ready to adopt or schedule a matchmaking session
C. Attach a picture of your cage and
D. Specify the dimensions or
E. Let us know that you would like to purchase one of our cages
6. Please bring a chin-proof carrier for transportation. Hard plastic cat carriers work well. Mesh, fabric and cardboard are not chin-proof. If you are getting a cage from Whimsy, keep in mind that a properly outfitted chinchilla cage is quite large. You'll need a truck, van, or SUV with removable or folding seats.
Single chinchillas: Chinchillas are herd animals by nature. The only time we'll allow a chinchilla to be adopted alone is if he/she is too aggressive toward their own kind. If you think you may want another chinchilla or if you are getting your first to "try them out", please consider adopting a bonded pair or group. If your lonely chin needs a compatible friend, please visit our "Chinchilla Matchmaking" page and follow the steps therein.
Pairs/groups: Chinchillas like to choose their own friends. Our pairs and groups are already bonded and proven compatible. They will not be "mixed and matched."